Monday, August 16, 2010

Is America doomed?



In case it is not already evident I hate begging motherfuckers aka BM's

I am not opposed to helping people. In fact I have spent most of my adult life helping others. And I am training my kids to honor their obligation to reach back and help those who need it. I think the world would be a much better place if everyone did so. But begging in America has taken on a level of arrogance and entitlement that I fear has lead our society to the edge of doom.

I am not talking about the broken souls who need fixing in one way or the other. These sombitches don't seem to have anything wrong with them that 40 hours and a little overtime won't fix. I know it is a tough economy but instead of loitering in front of Micky D's begging for coins why not loiter in front of Home Depot and give the illegals a run for their money.

Anyway, it's been a while since I went to Micky D's for anything but I had occasion to drop in for breakfast recently. Almost instantaneously I recalled why I stopped coming to this particular establishment. Within seconds I am being stalked by numerous BM's. As a general rule I walk with a gait that has a certain purposefulness that usually is enough to ward off all but the most aggressive BM.

And here he comes! "'Cuse me, cuse me brother can I talk to you for a minit."

At this point no response is necessary, but I do give him that hood stare (you know that one of us is fixin to have an asswhuppin look) such that it takes the edge off of his pitch. You can see the look on their faces when they realize "aw shit, I picked the wrong one." But at this point he is already committed and must follow through.

His pitch: he opens his hand to reveal a couple dollar bills and some miscellaneous change. He goes on to explain that he is trying to get enough to have breakfast wherein he lists out the items that he hopes to acquire.

It is at this instant that I begin to fear that America is hopelessly doomed by decadence and entitlement.

I have walked into this establishment with roughly $100 cash in my pocket, another $30 or $40 in cash and coin stuffed into various compartments in my vehicle for parking meters, newspapers, car washes and such, and enough credit card purchasing power in my wallet to fund a brief skirmish with Liechtenstein but I fully intend to eat breakfast on something close to two dollars. Eggmacsomething or the other, a fruit and yogurt parfait and courtesy cup of water, two dollars plus tax. Roughly the amount homeboy has just revealed himself to be in possession of before he approaches me to top off his breakfast wish list. Never mind that I am fully aware that brother man intends to spend my hard earned cash at the liquor store across the street, let's just get past that for now.

I have a job, in fact I have several, but I have absolutely no qualms about workin with the dollar menu. What is it that makes homeboy think it is alright to beg for more than the bare minimum (begging up, so to speak) because the dollar menu is beneath his dignity and ain't what he wants to eat for breakfast. But sir you do realize you are begging. I know that this is America, but very few are able to beg their way to the top. Begging is generally thought of as an entry level activity and that means dollar menu.

Not having your preferred breakfast delicacies is a real bummer. But if it is any consolation this ain't what I want for breakfast either. My personal breakfast of choice might include something like an egg white omelet with grated mozzarella cheese, peppers, onions, a generous sprinkling of salty capers with a side of crispy bacon and a bowl of seasonal fruit and a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice to wash it down.

Sadly, none of that is on the dollar menu. But I am on my way somewhere that might offer us both the opportunity to aspire to that breakfast.

Its called a job. Catch a clue brotha and get one yourself.

Can you understand that?

No comments:

Post a Comment