Thursday, December 31, 2009

Are we having fun yet?

New years eve celebrations seem distinctly subdued this year. Maybe everybody is broke. Maybe we are still worn out from Christmas. Maybe we all of sudden grew up.

I blame the networks. Say what you will about the major broadcast networks, but they still set the tone for the nation. They tell us what to think, when to be happy, when to be sad, how we feel about certain occurrences or whether or not we even give a shit about it.

I remember when I was a kid the new year's eve celebration was hyped to hell and back for three straight days. The show would come on at seven o'clock and function as a veritable roll call for a who's who of every major and minor musical act, starlet wannabe and aging used to be celebrity. Now I guess they are too embarrassed to hype anything that makes you go "who?".

Now the show comes at 10 o'clock, gets interrupted by the 11 o'clock news before it kicks in for a final 45 minute burn through the midnight celebration and a, count 'em, full fifteen minutes thereafter.

Sigh!

But I guess I'm one to talk, I'm here sipping on store brand sparkling cider watching this crap thinking who in their right mind would want to be in the midst of that. I suppose naivete and innocence is the engine that powers the world.

Happy New Year everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment